Monday, May 22, 2017

Day 12: Windy Day and Home again

This morning was a bit of comedy of errors. We were supposed to get picked up for Whale Watching at 8:30, so we got ready early and checked out around 7:45, put our luggage in storage, had breakfast, then started waiting for the shuttle. We waited and waited. It was drizzling a bit, but we didn't think anything of it. Eventually I decided it would be a good idea to check my email. Sure enough, whale watching is canceled because of bad weather. The time the email was sent: 7:37. So if I had just checked my email a couple of minutes later, we could have stayed comfortably in our hotel room until check-out time at noon! But now we have 4.5 hours to kill until our airport shuttle comes.

The weather didn't look bad to us, so we decided to walk down the couple blocks to the water. Little did we know it was WINDY! Like, couldn't walk straight, buildings creating a vortex when you try to pass them, etc. It was crazy!

Look, we finally could see the tops of some mountains!

We took refuge in the Harpa building, the music hall of Reykjavik. I have no idea if we were supposed to be in there, but it had wifi and no one told us to leave. So I checked my email and saw that I had to GO INTO the bus station to get the refund for the day's cancelled trip. So lame. Luckily we were only a 5 minute walk to their city-center location. Unluckily, the employees at that location didn't know what they were doing. But eventually it got sorted it.

We walked by the Reykjavik Cathedral again.

A typical street in Reykjavik.

I was so worried that our flight would be delayed or cancelled because of the wind, so when we got back to our hotel lobby I kept checking and checking the flights. But all the flights were landing and taking off as scheduled. And sure enough, our flight took off with no problem! 

We were so happy to see Axel! He stayed up late to see us. HUGE thank you to Rhonda for taking care of him, and bringing him back to New York for us. He loved hanging out with all the family members for almost 2 weeks. I'm pretty sure he would be ok with staying with them forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment