Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Salzburg

Like a said before, we rented a charter bus to drive us from Venice to Hallstatt and Salzburg. It was a 49-seater, so we had plenty of room to spread out with only 12 of us!



First view of Salzburg. 

 The bike tour of Salzburg was my favorite part of the whole trip. I know that sounds crazy, since I am a terrible bike rider, but Salzburg is really bike and pedestrian friendly, so I didn't feel like I was in danger of getting hit by a car. I only ALMOST ran into a stroller and an old man, so that doesn't count since I didn't hit them, right? The tour focused on the places where the Sound of Music was filmed.

 The fountain used for a scene. I think the Von Trapp kids skipped around it.

 The graveyard where the Von Trapps hid from the Nazis.

 The lake where Maria and the kids fall out of the boat.



 The Von Trapp house (for the movie)

(A+ photobomb for Kaden! That takes skill)

 The gazebo where the outside scenes of "16 Going on 17" was filmed.


 Salzburg is gorgeous. We took the tram up to the fortress that overlooks the whole city. In about a thousand years of existence, this fortress was never breached. Surrendered, but not breached.

 Jeff always finds the weirdest things, like this bizarre statue. I don't know why it was in the fortress, but it was.

 I will call the next three Jeff's Collection of Austrian Mustaches



 Ornate door in the castle part of the fortress

 There was a marionette museum in the fortress. It was pretty creepy. But they did have a video of a marionette show, and it was amazing. We were there the wrong time of the week to see a performance, so something to do next time!

 This baby will haunt your dreams:

 A cool marionette display.



And, because Jeff and I are immature:

We took a little trip to Salzbergwerk (Salzburg salt mine) in Berchtesgaden, Germany. It was soooo random. I guess they thought a tour of a salt mine was boring and they needed to jazz it up, so they added WOODEN SLIDES and LASER SHOWS. So weird. Hilarious though.
 .

Gary and Rhonda going down the slide. The one of the boys is hilarious, but I didn't get a picture of that one. Maybe Rhonda can send me a copy (hint hint).

Sorry, I can't figure out how to turn this...

Jeff and I on the slide.

Me in Berchtesgaden.

 Waiting at the bus stop (Alex is always ready for a picture, apparently)

 At the gardens of Maribel Palace. (Kaden, Brandon, Rhonda, Gary, and Alex)


 You may recognize this from the Sound of Music too. In Maribel Palace garden.

In Mozart Square. We were able to visit the home where Mozart was born and grew up, but we couldn't take any pictures.

 Great place to buy local handmade crafts. I bought a new Nativity! I foolishly did not take a picture of it before it got wrapped up, so I'll have to take a picture at Christmas.


 We took a train from Salzburg to Munich and spent an afternoon and evening in Munich. It was not my favorite place, to tell you the truth. Some people were kind of rude, the taxis were crazy expensive, it was really hot, my chocolate melted in my purse, I'm a whiner, etc. We went to the Audi Museum, but we couldn't get in on a factory tour because we had missed the ONLY English one that they do a day... Whoops.



 Old Town Hall (Rathous) that has the famous Glockenspiel (we didn't see it playing, we were too impatient and hungry to wait around for an hour)

Then we got up super early the next morning to catch our train from Munich to Paris!

Post note: Here are more pictures from the mine (sorry, I can't figure out how to turn them!):



No comments:

Post a Comment